Hammer or mallet
¾” Forstner bit or Spade bit
- 3 Boards , 2”x2”x8’
- 5 Boards , 1”x2”x8’
- 1 Dowel Rod (cut to fit) , ¾” thick
Hardware & Supplies
- 1 Box of 1 ¼” Pocket hole screws (See tools list)
- 1 Box of 2 ½” Pocket hole screws (See tools list)
Cut List & Parts
- 2 Back legs , 2x2 at 5’ L
- 2 Front legs , 2x2 at 3’ L
- 2 Sides , 2x2 at 12” L
- 24 Table slats , 1x2 at 12” L
- 4 Shelf Edges , 1x2 at 26 ½” L
- 1 Dowel Rod , Approximately 29 ½”
Make cuts according to cut list
Sand everything smooth
Use the Kreg Jig 520PRO to drill pocket holes as follows:
-2 pocket holes at each end of the (24) 12" long 1x2 pieces
-1 pocket hole at each end of the (2) 12" long 2x2 pieces.
Drill a hole at one end of each of your 5’ long 2x2 pieces using a ¾” forstner bit or spade bit. You may need to sand the inside of each hole slightly with sandpaper just to create a tiny bit of added wiggle room for your dowel. (Or just wiggle your drill bit around slightly after you’ve created the hole to enlarge it a tiny bit.)
Using 1 ¼” pocket hole screws, attach 12 of the 12” long 1x2 pieces to 2 of the 26 ½” long 1x2 pieces, creating a slatted shelf. Use a scrap 1x2 turned on its side as a spacer between each slat.
Repeat this process to create a second slatted shelf.
To build the sides of the base, connect your 5’ long 2x2 piece to your 3’ long 2x2 piece using a 12” long 2x2 piece, centered perpendicular to the 5’ long board. Attach using 2 ½” long pocket hole screws. Repeat the process for the second side piece.
Attach one of the slatted shelves by drilling pocket holes into the end of each slatted shelf, being careful to avoid the existing screws. Then attach the shelves to the base of the shelving unit using 1 ¼” pocket hole screws. (I drilled one hole in each corner of the shelves.)
Use a hammer or a mallet to install the dowel rod through the two holes in the top of your 5’ long 2x2 boards. I found it easiest to position the entire unit on its side for this part, and hammer the dowel rod in from the top.
Paint or stain your shelving unit. I used a Provincial stain and then sealed it with a water-based spar urethane.