Just like we are passionate about our customers, we also are passionate about our community. We give back through Kreg Cares, the philanthropic arm of Kreg Tool. Kreg Cares supports a variety of philanthropic causes, such as alternative and innovative education, community needs, and health-related causes. Kreg Cares also supports organizations our employees are passionate about by matching donations each year to their charity of choice. In addition to donations, many Kreg employees give back by volunteering their time. Whether through events put on by the company, or on their own time, you will see many of our team members volunteering in a number of capacities, including serving on the Boards of nonprofit organizations that hold a special place in their heart.
Children are our future. That is why Kreg Cares is deeply committed to supporting all types of learning, with a special focus on trades-based education.
Kreg Cares is passionate about students developing specialized skills that will enable them to have a successful career in the trades industry. This is evidenced through our support of various local and national organizations that work to advance training programs in trade, technical, and skilled service occupations. Examples include Skills USA, high school industrial tech programs, partnership with the MiLL National Training Center in Colorado Springs, and support of contextualized learning programs for all ages.
Kreg in the Classroom
To help teach younger students about the benefits of woodworking, Kreg developed the “Kreg in the Classroom” program in 2017. Through this program, schools can purchase discounted tools from Kreg to outfit their shop classrooms to inspire children to work with their hands and ignite a lifetime desire to continue building.
Kreg Scholarship Program
Kreg Cares offers an annual scholarship program to children of Kreg employees. Those who are pursuing an undergraduate degree from a two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school are eligible to apply.
Community Needs and Health-Related Causes
Employees are the heart of our business. This is why Kreg Cares believes in supporting causes that are important to them and the communities in which they live. These donations typically represent 40% of our total giving every year.
Learn more about just a few of the many organizations that Kreg team members are proud to support either through monetary donations and/or volunteering or taking part in specific events.
United Way of Story County
Kreg is pleased to partner with United Way of Story County each year through an employee campaign that aims to support their vision: To improve the quality of life in our community for individuals and families. Through this week-long campaign, our employees are challenged to be a part of the change to help improve the quality of life for so many central Iowans who are in need.
In addition to making monetary contributions, that are matched dollar-for-dollar up to a certain amount by Kreg Cares, employees get to have a little fun during the campaign week. Examples include:
- Dressing in fun attire throughout the week to coordinate with a particular theme;
- Casting coins/votes for an Executive to recreate a photo that was taken in high school;
- Potluck featuring traditional food served during school lunch;
- Employee talent show;
- “Chopped” competition in which participants were challenged to create a dish containing items that are commonly donated to food pantries; and
- Prize drawings for highly coveted items.
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Every year since 2012, Kreg employees have had a “ball” supporting Big Brothers Big Sisters during their “Bowl for Kids’ Sake” bowling fundraiser. In addition to supporting a great cause, this event provides a fun after-hours activity for employees to do together that helps build relationships and camaraderie among the team. More than 50 employees take part in this annual event, earning Kreg the award for most participants almost every single year!
In addition to the bowling fundraiser, Kreg Cares supports their annual “Big Shots Golf Tournament” in the fall.
There’s no greater pain that a parent can endure than having a child with a critical medical condition. All they want is for their child to feel normal again and to take their mind off of the situation, even if it’s just for a little bit. Make-A-Wish Iowa helps to do this by granting the wishes of these children. Kreg Cares and our employees are proud to be involved with Make-A-Wish Iowa. Here are just a few of the ways we support this tremendous organization:
- Wish Kid Sponsorship – Kreg Cares has had the pleasure of sponsoring four Wish kids over the years. Through this sponsorship, employees get to throw the child a “Welcome Home Party” after they return from their “Wish Trip.” These parties are specially themed based on the child’s interests. Examples of past themes include: Hawaiian luau, superheroes, and Minecraft. Check out this video to hear more about Kreg Cares, as well as the emotional yet encouraging story about one of our past Wish kids.
- Jolly Holiday Lights – As one of central Iowa’s most beloved holiday traditions, Jolly Holiday Lights takes place during the holiday season and is a two-and-a-half-mile route of more than 100 holiday light displays. Vehicles pay a fee to drive through the display in which 100% of the proceeds benefit Make-A-Wish Iowa. Not only does Kreg Cares sponsor one of the light displays, but to make this event run smoothly, Make-A-Wish Iowa relies on volunteers to work in the Wish Shop selling merchandise and refreshments, and helping with Santa photos. A number of Kreg employees volunteer to work in the Wish Shop each year and always end up leaving the evening with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.
- Make-A-Wish Gala – Kreg Cares also sponsors tables at the annual Make-A-Wish Iowa gala. Employees and their spouses/significant others are invited to attend this fun-filled evening. Attendees wear formal clothing, enjoy a delicious dinner, and take part in live and silent auctions, as well as get the opportunity to interact with Wish Kids.
See Harper’s Story Here…
Meals from the Heartland
Have you ever packaged 100,000 meals in two days? For Kreg, this is an annual occurrence through our support of Meals from the Heartland. Meals from the Heartland engages volunteers to package meals for food-insecure people around the globe, including central Iowa where Kreg Tool is located. Individuals, businesses, schools, churches and organizations fund the ingredients and packaging materials and many times, supply the labor by their employees, members, students, etc. With this process, Meals from the Heartland has been able to accomplish incredible goals.
All 250 of our employees at Kreg participate in this two-day event, which is held on our campus. With multiple tables set up, people work in an assembly line to package meals that are ultimately distributed around the world. This event serves as an opportunity for all of our employees to come together and play a role in providing nutritious meals to those who need it most.
Special Olympics Plane Pull
Do you think you have the strength to help pull a Delta CRJ-900 airplane weighing more than 80,000 pounds? This what teams of 10 do through the annual Plane Pull event that benefits the Special Olympics of Iowa. The teams are challenged to see who can pull the plane 12 feet in the fastest amount of time. Kreg employees and their family and friends are invited to participate in this Titan type of challenge. Kreg Cares has been involved with this event since 2017, but has supported other Special Olympics events for several years prior to this.